Surat Thani is the largest of the southern provinces of Thailand. It is located on the western shore of the Gulf of Thailand. Surat Thani means “city of good people”, a title given to the city by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI).
Surat Thani is located about 650 km from Bangkok.
Many islands in the Gulf of Thailand belong to the district, including the tourist islands Koh Samui, Koh Pha Ngan and Koh Tao, as well as the Koh Ang Thong Marine National Park.
There are 6 national parks in Surat Thani :
- Koh Ang Thong Marine National Park
- Khao Sok National Park
- Khlong Phanom National Park
- Kaeng Krung National Park
- Than Sadet-Koh Pha-Ngan Marine National Park
- Tai Rom Yen National Park
Surat Thani borders Chumphon, Ranong, Phang Nga, Krabi and Nakhon Si Thammarat.